Friday, October 8, 2010

You Do the Hokey Pokey and You Turn Yourself Around

That's what it's all about.

Especially when you're a mommy. Man, I got turned around this week. The recapturing beauty challenge doesn't start til next monday... i started it this past monday. So I get to turn myself around and do it all over again starting monday. but i've love this. i'm enjoying the challenges, and i'm really feeling better about myself this week. thanks BYU Women's Services for this awesome oportunity.
Yesterday, I did something really strange. at least for me. I did the hokey pokey. in the middle of the library. out loud. and YES, I DID turn myself around. it all started while wakling to the library with munchkin. she was straped to me in the baby carrier, facing outwards. she was wearing a warm foot pajamas outfit, but her hands were really cold while outside. so i held her hands, but she didn't want me to hold them in one place. so i started moving them out and in, in and out. well, needless to say, I started singling the hocky pokey in my head, and before I knew what I was doing, I started singing out loud and turning myself around. we got into the library, and i didn't stop.
"you put your left hand in, you take your left hand out. you put your left hand in and you shake it all about. you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around. that's what it's all about! yeah!"

i got the strangest looks. from the confused "what the hell is that woman doing?!?!" stare to the "awe, look at the mommy making a fool of her self" smile.

but you know what. since i started this recapturing beauty thing early, i've felt a desire to not just be beautiful for myself, but to teach my munchkin that she is beautiful. i don't want her to be like me and constantly doubting herself, her appearance, and her self worth. and that begins with me being a good mommy. a beautiful mommy. a confident mommy that isn't afraid to make herself look absolutely ridiculous doing the hokey pokey in the middle of the library, because she loves herself. if i can be confident and beautiful enough to do THAT yesterday, and today, and tomorrow... and all the other days, then as my munchkin grows up, she will know that she is beautiful, worthy, and amazing. that she can do all those crazy things, and at the end of the day, she is SO LOVED! by her mommy and daddy. by her Heavenly Father. by her friends and family, and everyone that matters.

i love my munchkin. she is beautiful. and i'm going to be her beautiful mommy.

No comments: