Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Feeling Good

just to start out-- thanks everyone for your wonderfully sincere and helpful comments to my last post. I was feeling really down about myself, and it's good to know that i wasn't crazy and other mommy's go through similar feelings after having their precious baby. I love my munchkin so much-- and even though stretch marks don't go away, and i'll always have an extra bit of skin pudge on my formerly flat and firm tummy, and countless other things that have changed about my body-- I take comfort in these things:

1. I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father, who loves me. And I love Him.
2. My husband loves me. And the way I look, even if I don't all the time.
3. This little munchkin is worth it.4. And so are all the munchkins to come (note: none are en route, and I plan to keep it that way for a while!).

But really, this post is all about feeling good. I took Lauren's advice and am not using the weighing feature on the WiiFit. And I'm hiding the bathroom scale. All my past efforts at exercising have failed after a month or so because I obsessed with the number on the scale. I'd find that I was actually gaining weight after a month of rigorous exercising every day. It would spiral into an obsession with the number on my scale, and I would quit out of frustration, disappointment, and a sinking depression that NOTHING WORKS!

Brad and I developed this list of 3 rules/goals back in early August, and so far I've kept them pretty well.
1. Exercise 5 times per week for at least 30 min.
*Must be spread out over at least 4 days. (basically, this allowed some leeway in cases of illness, or traveling, or other extenuating circumstances. I would just have to exercise for 1 hr instead of 30 minutes one of the 4 days.)
2. Eat no more than 3 deserts per week; no more than 1 dessert per day. (so i can't save up my desserts for 1 day, and if i don't eat one until the last 2 days of the week, i've lost a dessert for the week. no roll overs!)
3. No eating after 8pm. Drinks ok.
*In extenuating circumstances, this can replaced with rule 3b. If eating food after 8pm, I must exercise extra after eating and cannot go to sleep for 3 hours after finishing eating.

As an incentive, we devised a reward system that's not directly connected to the scale.
1. Receive $5 for personal use if I obey all requirements/meet all goals for the week (Mon-Sun).
2. No money received if 1 rule violated/goal not met once in the week.
3. $5 lost if 2 or more rules violated/goals not met in the week.
4. Bonus $5 rewarded if I exercise all 7 days in a week for 30 min or more each time.

I've earned $10 once, $5 3 or 4 times, and earned no money 2 weeks. I've never lost money. On this plan.

I'm so grateful to my wonderful husband that is so supportive and "sponsors" this health plan for me! Since combining my plan with a self-determination to not even look at a scale; I have to admit-- I feel fantastic. I'm not obsessing about whether or not my plan is "working" based on how much I weigh. I realize that was a very poor assessment of my plan. So I'm now basing the success of my plan on keeping my health goals and how my body feels. I'd probably give myself an A- on keeping my health goals and an A for how my body feels right now. I'm feeling good. I'm super curious what the scale would tell me, but it can keep it to itself. I don't want this successful feeling to go away.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good for you Marie. I don't really look at scales, either. Occasionally I will for curiosity's sake. Since I'm tall, I outweigh most of my friends anyway, even though I'm not necessarily overweight. And especially since having babies, my shape has changed, and so the actual number doesn't match, even if I wear the same size before and after kids. Did that even make sense? Anyway, so I just try to go based on how I feel and how my clothes fit. If the don't fit, I've got something to work on! You've got some great goals...I should probably do something like that too! :)