Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fight Cancer, Save a Life

On December 4, I'm going to register to save a life; and I'm inviting you to join me.  I'm going to go to Midvale, Utah, where the tutoring company I work for is holding a drive to get people registered on the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry.  They are going to swab my cheek, and in the 8% chance that they call me because I'm a match, I can save a life. 

When I was in high school, the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years, I lost both my great-grandma Harkins and my step-grandfather Bob to cancer, within just a few weeks of each other.   My grandma (dad's mom) has had a recent battle with breast and skin cancer, currently, she's in remission.  Just this past February, my husband lost a dear uncle to leukemia. Cancer has really taken it's toll on my family in many ways.  This past Saturday, I ran my first 5K to benefit a family in my previous church ward who's husband/father has Stage IV Melanoma.  Last week, another friend found out that her 6 month old son has leukemia.  I love all these people so much. 
 That's my Great-Grandma Harkins and my mom, the summer before she passed away form cancer.

I want to do what I can to save a life from cancer.  I can't say I won't be scared if I ever get a call telling me that I can save a life.  I know I've heard that donating bone marrow can hurt; but that pain can't be worse than losing someone you love. Please join me on Saturday, December 4.  Get registered to save a life.  Maybe you're not in a place in life where you can donate now; don't let that stop you from registering-- because when they give you a call, if they do, you'll likely be somewhere else in life.  You might be able to when you are needed.  And if you're not, you can say no, and no one will think less of you. All you have to do is get a cheek swab.  It's painless to register.  I'll even carpool with you if you want to join me.

My husband's cousin-in-law was able to donate blood stem cells a few weeks ago to save a man's life because she was on the registry.  She registered 8 years ago, and just got a call.  I know that person's family must be so grateful for her sacrifice.  She blogged her experience here: http://deshazerland.blogspot.com/

Here's the info I got from work on the Registry Drive:

The Huntington Learning Centers in Utah are hosting a bone marrow drive and fundraiser to encourage more Utahans to register with the national bone marrow registry.

On Saturday, December 4, 2010 we will be hosting a Bone Marrow Donor Drive and Fundraiser in partnership with the Rich Cronin Hope Foundation from 11am-4pm at our Midvale office.

The fight against cancer goes on and it touches may of our lives or the lives of our family or friends. Cancer  affects mothers, fathers, children, and it does not o overlook victims  based on social status, race, or age. The mission of the Rich Cronin Hope Foundation is to register people to be on the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry. Without people registering, there is no chance for many who need a donor to find one. In addition to registering people to save a life, we will be raising money for this wonderful foundation.
We would love if you would confirm a number of people that are willing to come out and be registered onto the National Bone Marrow Done Registry on December 4, 2010. The person that brings in the most registrants will win a gift basket! You can confirm these on the attached page and return to me via email or fax. Registering is quite simple (AND COMPLETELY painless-we just swab the inside of your cheek!) and takes roughly 15 minutes of your time. Please help us reach our goal of 150 new potential donors added to the registry through our drive! Anyone in good health between the ages of 18-60 can register!
Being a registered marrow donor means being registered to save a life.  It means providing the potential to save another person's life from your own.  It means potentially providing a person with the opportunity to win THE GOOD FIGHT.
Thank you in advance for your support!

When: Saturday December 4, 2010
Time: 11am-4pm
Where:Huntington Learning Center   
719 East Fort Union Blvd.      
            Midvale, UT 84047

1 comment:

Heather said...

That's awesome Marie! It makes me want to cry! Hope you and your family are doing well.