Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Look, New Acomplishments

This past Thursday, I got a haircut. It was quite a big change... but I LOVE it!
My good friend Sandy came to Utah over the weekend to visit before she moves to England for awhile. She is such an amazing woman; she made a big difference in my life when I was a young, confused, angry, and very sad teenager. And she continues to be a blessing in my life even when we don't see or talk much. Thank you, Sandy!

Saturday, I finished my first ever 5K! It was a benefit race, called Five to Fight Cancer, to benefit the Leo Teemant family. They are a family that lives in the church ward that Brad and I lived in last year. Such am amazing and wonderful family! One of their children were in our nursery class last year when Brad and I were nursery leaders at church. The father was diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma, and was told he had less than 1 year to live. The family's story can be found here: www.fivetofightcancer.com

I can start crying anytime I think about them. They have a baby that's only 5 months old, and two other children, about 5 years and 3 years. It makes me wonder what would happen if something like this were to hit my family. If I or Brad were to die young, would our children remember us? What would they remember? Would Naomi remember how much we love her?

As I was about half way done, my asthma was making it very difficult for me to keep going. Utah air is dry, and it was a particularly cold morning when the race started. Cold, dry air is the WORST for my asthma. I didn't know if I could finish, but as I'm struggling to breath as I fight my way up a hill, I see Leo Teemant run past me. He just had his last chemo treatment 1 week ago. And I just start crying. This amazing man is fighting for his life. To stay with his family on this earth for just a little while longer. He is so strong and courageous. I could finish the race for him. Instead of trying to go faster and go into a full asthma attack, I get out my inhaler and decide that I will finish the race. I may not finish very fast, but I will finish without killing myself. I walked most of the race, stopping when necessary going uphill to use my inhaler, and walking/jogging in downhill areas. I finished with a time of 59:29. It felt amazing! I never thought I would do any kind of race, but I'm so glad I did!
Oh, and there was also a craft sale that same morning; all proceeds went to the Teemant's to help pay for medical expenses. I finished crocheting 4 scarves. Two of them sold for $20. I still have the other 2, and would be willing to sell them. Any money made from them will be given to the Teemants. Pictures below.This one was my favorite. I made it from leftover yarn from a few years ago when I made a Steelers' scarf for my then soon-to-be father-in-law. The yarn was inexpensive, but very soft. It is also the first time I made crocheted flowers. I was very pleased with them.The yarn for this and the other 3 was exquisitely soft! A wonderful woman donated this very expensive yarn to me for the purpose of making scarves for the sale. It was my second favorite, and is still available to buy! All proceeds will go to the Teemant family.
This one sold first. Made of the same exquisitely soft, very expensive, donated yarn; just a black instead of cream color, with a matching red crocheted flower.

There is a 4th scarf, not pictured, but still available. It's the super soft, expensive, donated yarn, but in a rich purple color and 2 cream colored crocheted flowers sewn on the end. Very beautiful, soft, and still available to benefit the Teemant family. I'll try to post a pic soon, when I get one.

2 comments:

Danielle Smith said...

Love love LOVE the haircut!! Good job doing the 5k! I am a sprinter, not a long distance runner, so good for you!! Beautiful scarves! Let us know what y'all are doing for Thanksgiving.

merrilykaroly said...

Beautiful haircut. I've already told you that but it doesn't hurt to say it again :)

Good job on the 5K! I agree that Leo finishing up that race was sooo inspiring! What a fun day.

Also, beautiful scarves. I love the white one! Wish I could afford to buy it :) Your flowers are super cute. If I had a little girl I'd ask for your help to make some :)