The Playroom.
I think this room may be the most important room in the house.
You may be thinking, "Seriously? The kids' playroom... most important?"
Yes. It's where my children spend most of their time. It's where they play. And by play, I really mean LEARN (since play is really a child learning and enjoying it-- which is how learning should be. I'll step off that soapbox now before I get too far off subject).
And now maybe you're thinking, "just post the pictures already!" If you haven't just scrolled to them already... you can cheat, and I won't judge. But I'd love if you left some feedback! :-)
Goals (not in any specific order)
- organize so there are logical places for each type of play (role playing/dress up, games/puzzles, creating crafts, making music, etc)
- foster healthy social identity by consciously integrating socially gendered types of toys (ie: not segregating the baby doll and toy kitchen from the blocks/legos and cars) (i could make a super long explanation for this, but i'll spare you the soapbox rant)
- safe areas for baby ruthe to play (ie: not by a heating vent, avoid small toys she can put in her mouth)
- maintain an atmosphere that encourages creativity.
I re-arrange this room ALL the time. Like multiple time per
![]() |
| *there's a long heat vent along the floor/wall beneath the window *small book shelf has puzzles and games, larger toys on top |
Pros
- everything is in here... (is this really a "pro"?)
- doesn't significantly change the room, so someday when we have more kids, it can easily be converted back into a bedroom
- there are clear places for each activity (goal 1)
- socially gendered toys are interspersed (goal 2)
Cons
- it always looks cluttered or messy.
- her desk is facing a wall in the corner-- creativity doesn't flow from looking at a blank wall (goal 4)
- stuffed animals are in the closet, which is closed off (really, what's the point of a closed off closet in a playroom? oh yeah, future bedroom space... bah)
- boring (goal 4)
- baby ruthe's toys are spread around the room -> more chances she'll find small naomi toys, or a heating vent (goal 3)
- i really don't like the window treatments, but that's a "luxury repair" that won't happen for awhile, or until i sew some myself :-)
![]() |
| *the closet over there is full of stuffed animals *should I just take the closet doors off? *to paint or not to paint the walls? |
So, friends and decorators... any advice on how to organize this space? Meanwhile, I'll continue to re-arrange the room. :-)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Don't stress over this. The kids will dump the toys out and play with them and they will be all over place. All of your perfect planning will be in the center of the room all mixed together. That is what kids do in a play room. They are walking tornados. There is no such thing as a creativity station in a room - everywhere is creativity. Just make sure the kids can't get physically in trouble in the room. By the way, every room is a play room, not just the one with toys in it.
However, if you insist on keeping specialized activities in special areas you need to buy/build a new house with tons more room in it.
Love you, keep trying, but don't stress over this.
Post a Comment