Friday, January 4, 2013

Playroom, part 2

Thanks to my aunt and her incredible eye for design and sending me some "inspiration sketches,"  I love the way the playroom is organized now!  (Though to be honest, I'm thinking I want to remove those closet doors to open it up more, which could mean another re-arranging is in order.)

 Here's Munchkin and Papoose's Playroom!
(photos taken with Brad's phone on "panoramic mode.")
taken from the doorway
taken from standing by the closet

I love that not everything is facing toward the center of the room anymore!  When everything was pushed up against the walls, it felt like all the energy of the room just pointed to the center and then started a tornado of mess in the middle of the room.

This new arrangement breaks the room up into smaller, more manageable areas.  And my goodness does it make a difference in simply how munchkin plays in this room!  Sure, toys still get dumped on the floor-- that's a given with a toddler that LOVES to dump-and-fill.  But now it's not all mixed in the middle so I have to sort and pick-up with her every night.  It feels organized, and Munchkin knows where the toys go, it's not a guessing game anymore.  And the energy in the room "flows" from space to space, instead of just pointing inward and having nowhere to flow to and thus creating the mess tornado in the center.

And it meets my goals!

  • socially gendered toys are integrated together;' there's not a "boy space" or "girl space." it's all children's learning and playing space.
  • it looks and feels organized, and it's clear where things go.
  • it's safe for Papoose-- her toys aren't by heat vents or mixed with small choking hazards
  • feels like a creative space where my kids want to play, build, create, and learn

No comments: