Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Occupy Movement

I've noticed there is a lot of debate about the Occupy movements.  I didn't understand it very well, so I've been reading a bunch of articles on it lately.  I don't think I still understand it fully, but I think I support the movement as far as I understand it at this point.

This is what I support and do NOT support.

1. I do have a problem with a system that allows hard working Americans barely to earn a living wage and to be able to pay for all the expected needs, such adequate health care.   These people may be working 2 or more part-time jobs and their children still go to school hungry, relying on free lunch programs.

2. There is gross UNemployment and UNDERemployment.  This means that there are men and women who want to work, have personal dignity and pride and want to EARN their living, but are unable to do so right now. 

3.  Big businesses should not get bailouts when the execs are making huge bonuses. CEOS and other admins should take a break and use the company money ethically and responsibly to maintain their business, their employees' jobs.

4.  I do NOT support a redistribution of wealth as so many are accusing this movement of.  I don't think is a socialist movement.  In fact, I find this whole movement very democratic-- They are occupying wall street because they want our market system and those in power in our market system to act ethically-- not for the government to redistribute.

5. I do realize that there are people who abuse the system, who choose to stay home and collect unemployment and government assisted health care.  I think this is a product of a once-caring govenment that couldn't stand by and let it's people suffer at the unethical hands of big businesses who prospered while the everyday working man toiled during the Great Depression.  I think some people have chosen to stay at home and sit on their butts because any job they could get would be minimum wage-- they wouldn't make enough money to afford health insurance and support their family, but they'd make too much to receive government assistance, so they'd just have to go without.  Would you rather work your tail off everyday, and not be able to provide fully for your family; or would you rather sit at home while the government takes care of you and your family?  The government welfare system is flawed and needs some serious overhaul.

So, let the debate begin.  Where do you stand on the Occupy Movements?

No comments: