Brad taught me the basics with some music flash cards and a keyboard that we could tape the letters of notes on the keys.
I've been practicing very hard the last 2 weeks-- everyday for 30 minutes to1 hour (though not always consecutively). I thought I had learned "A Child's Prayer" and played it for Brad, to which he told me that I did a good job and it sounded like the song, but I wasn't playing what was on the music sheet. Oops! Apparently, I had accidentally "transposed the song into the key of C." Now I'm not sure what that means, but the reality was that I forgot where middle C was (since we're not putting tape on the piano keys-- I thought F was middle C), and I though that middle C was the bottom line of the top staff (but it's really supposed to be one line below the top staff). But with all of my confusion, I somehow did something magical and transposed the song that was supposed to have sharps into a key that could be played perfectly with no sharps or flats. Yeah... I'm that awesome!
I tried learning the same song the "proper" way, in the right key and playing the notes that were actually on the sheet and re-adjusting my brain to where middle C really should be. And failed miserably. Brad recommended that I get a song that is just in the key of C and practice something fitting for my very beginner level; so now I'm learning the melody line for "We'll Bring the World His Truth" (sometimes called "Army of Helaman"). Here's a video of my attempt... I know I screwed up in a few places, but I still feel really proud of what I've been able to learn in a few weeks!
I'm very excited and grateful to have this chance to learn something new and beautiful. It's important to me to keep learning and developing new talents. Musical abilities has always felt like a weakness to me, but I know that through diligent study and practice, prayer, and faith that my Heavenly Father can "make weak things become strong unto me." I want my children to know how much continuing to learn throughout your life means to me, so I am taking on a challenge to learn something new. I also want my home to have beautiful music-- so I'm trying to help make that happen.
It has been a goal of mine this year to be able to perform something musical at the Neeley family Christmas Eve "talent show." Every year the Neeleys all get together at Uncle Steve's house on Christmas Eve and play music and act out the First Christmas. All the Neeley's have a musical talent that they share-- singing, piano, violin, flute, etc. It's very beautiful and a tradition that I LOVE, and would like to incorporate into our family as we start to establish our own traditions for the holidays.
3 comments:
Yelling "Yea" and clapping hands at the same time.
Good work! The ward could definitely benefit from this talent!!! You are doing amazing!
That's awesome! Way to go and keep it up! :)
Post a Comment