Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Like to Move It, Move It!

I've started participating in races... I might be crazy, but here's the story.

November 14, 2010 I participated in my first ever 5K.  It was a benefit for a family friend who was diagnosed with Stage IV Melenoma (today, after many chemo treatments, he is in remission!).  Since it was November, and quite cold out, I mostly speed walked.  I ran for the first minute, then had to walk the rest while pushing Naomi in the stroller.  There were a couple times when I wasn't sure I could make it; it was very hard to breath.  But when I saw Brother Teemant running, I knew that I could do it, if I would slow down, use my inhaler, and let my pride and embarrassment over needing to use my inhaler go.  I finished with a time of 59:29.




This past weekend, I participated in my first ever BYU Splash and Dash.  I was in the Beginner's heat, so I did a 1/4 mile swim and 3K.  I'd also lost over 17 lbs. between these races.  The swim was first; I shared my lane with a woman who has competed in this event the last 3 or 4 years.  She beat me soundly in the swim, finishing her 8.5 laps before I had reached 5 laps.  I was the last one out of the pool with a swim time of 12:58.  It was a running clock, so it kept running while I was changing from my swim suit into my running clothes.  My stuff was in the locker room; but apparently most people just put on a pair of shorts and t-shirt over their swim suit by the door where they ran out of the pool area and started the race.  Oops.  I changed as fast as I could, and met Brad by the start of the 3K and we stared out.  About 2-3 minutes later, I told Brad I couldn't keep going or I was going to wet myself-- who knew swimming could make you have to pee so bad?-- and in my haste to start the 3K, I didn't use the bathroom.  So we turned around, I used the bathroom, and we started the 3K section over again.

My action plan was to listen to my body, and most importantly, my lungs.  I took my inhaler right after getting out of the pool before changing and starting the race.  I started the race at a light jog, setting distance goals for myself along the way.  Brad was at my side to coach and push Naomi in the stroller.  I would look ahead and tell Brad my goal, "I'm going to jog from this turn to the next crosswalk," and such.  If I couldn't breath, I allowed myself to stop and use my inhaler, no matter who could see me.  Breathing was more important than being embarrassed that I couldn't run without stopping.  According to Brad's time which he started when I started the 3K the second time, I finished it in roughly 28-29-ish minutes.  The official time on record is 45:57.  My total official time was 58:53 for the whole thing. I had the second to last place time for swimming (3rd to last if you count the person who did the swim, but didn't finish the whole race), and I was dead last for the whole thing.

But...
I FINISHED!!!  I never thought I would compete in something like this.  It was so much fun!  So what if I was dead last?  I had a great time; I accomplished something that even only 3 months ago, I NEVER thought I could do in my life.  It feels so good.  I feel strong.  I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven who has heard my pleas for help to become healthier.   I know my prayers are heard and answered.  And I'm looking forward to improving upon my times in future events when financial circumstances allow.  And this is me after the race, about 17 lbs lighter than my 5K in November.



I've got a long way to go, but I know I can do it.  With prayer and a loving Father in Heaven, and a wonderfully supportive husband-- I can do anything.  (And no, the 17 lbs lost wasn't because I chopped off part of my leg... I guess the angle is just weird...oh well!)

No comments: