Friday, May 11, 2012

Relay for Life

Last weekend, our little family helped participate in Relay for Life!  It was such a fun experience, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

A few months ago, a friend from church asked me to join her team for Relay for Life.  I said, sure... not really knowing what i was getting into.  So I went home and did some google-ing and found the website, http://www.relayforlife.org/index.  I browsed around, and eventually found my self crying.  Remembering so many loved ones who's lives have been touched my cancer.

So Friday evening on May 3, I find myself driving in the pouring rain to do Relay.  Brad's co-worker dropped him off after work, so I met up with Brad and the Relay team when I arrived.  We sat for about 15-20 minutes in the car waiting for the rain to let up, and it did.  It turned out to have lovely weather the rest of the weekend!  We talked with the team, mostly made up of family members of my friend Jessie.  I got to help with a cake walk fundraiser while there.  After the sun set, there was a Luminaria Ceremony-- a time to remember those who have been touched my cancer, light candles for those who have passed away, and walk a lap in their memory.  It was difficult to hear the speaker, so I missed a lot of it, but I was touched deeply by the memories of my loved ones.  It was an emotional time, but I was glad to have it.

Since I'm 8 months pregnant, we decided to go home for the night and sleep in my own bed... i mean, it's hard enough to get comfortable in my own bed.  Forget sleeping in a tent on the wet ground with a toddler.  NOT gonna happen!

The next morning was beautiful.  I didn't walk any laps the night before because my feet were super swollen, but I did walk about 5-6 on Saturday morning since the swelling went down a lot during the night.  It was great to talk to friends and spend time with family and friends.  Also, while walking, I noticed I was having about 2 mild contractions per lap... They were mild enough that I could keep walking at a good pace and talk without difficulty though most of them.  Continuing to walk made it feel more intense, but the second I stopped moving, everything relaxed. Darn, Braxton-Hicks contractions!

There was a closing "Duck Drop" raffle. We bought 4 duckies, but didn't win.  We did get to keep the duckies though, and that makes Naomi super happy!  She loves duckies.  Over all, it was lots of fun, and we look forward to participating again next year.  Hopefully, I won't be so huge and pregnant, and we can stay over-night for more fun events!

In Memory of

Great-Grandma and me when I was little.

My great-grandma, Francis Maedean Harkins passed away almost 8 years ago from cancer.  She's been on my mind extra lately since our little Ruthe Maedean will be named after her. I was very fortunate to spend the summer with her shortly before she passed away.  She was an incredible woman!  Strong, stubborn, kind, loving.  She had high expectations of us, and always made sure we knew that, and at the same time helped us realize we could meet those expectations. A year after she passed away, I was also able to go to the Chicago temple and do her baptism/confirmation work for her.  It was a very special experience. I love and miss Grandma Harkins very much!
Left to Right: my mom, me, great-grandma, and my great-aunt Tina
This was taken the summer shortly before she passed away.
Two weeks after my great-grandma Harkins died from cancer, my step-grandfather Bob Brown, passed away from cancer.  That was a seriously tough summer!  Most of my memories are of him telling me that I was a "perfectly good Georgia peach" that was "ruined by the d*** yankees."  He was a southern man, through and through.

Two years ago, Brad lost 2 of his uncles to different types of cancers.  His uncle Mike (from his mom's side), and his uncle Bruce (on his dad's side).  I only met them briefly once or twice, but they were incredible men.  I felt like I knew uncle Mike through Aunt Jeanne's faithful email updates and getting to know Brad's cousins (uncle Mike's children) who lived near us in Utah at the time.
Uncle Mike is in the center.  He was diagnosed with leukemia after getting home from their trip out to be at Brad and I's wedding.  A great man!


Survivors!

My dad's mom, my Grandma Mary-Ann, has had numerous types of cancers, but is still winning the fight.  I don't get updates often, but I do know she has had at least breast cancer and skin cancer.  She's such a strong woman!  I love her!

And most recently, my mom had a type of skin cancer.  She's recovering now-- the growth was surgically removed and her nose had to be reconstructed, but her dr says she's healing great and has been impressed with her recovery so far.  Way to go, Mummsie!!!
My Mummsie is a grandma! (that's her with munchkin as a newborn)
 I don't know why I don't have a more recent picture of her!  I'm sure i do, but can't find one.

I've also had friends who've been battling cancer.  Brother Teemant of one of our former Provo Family Wards is still fighting melanoma, though in remission.  And the very young son of another friend from another Provo Family Ward is in remission for childhood leukemia.

2 comments:

Jessy said...

Ok first of all i need to quit reading your blog at work its always making me cry! All that aside we loved having you as a part of our team!! I cant wait till next year when you can stay all night :) -Jessy

Danielle Smith said...

Cancer is lame and stupid. What an awesome opportunity for you! You were such a trooper to do this being so pregnant! Way to go! Nana(Krsten's mom) died 10 years ago(on the 22nd) from Lymphoma cancer. Nana's mom(I think) died from breast cancer. It's amazing how many people have known someone who has or experienced cancer themselves. I have a friend from Colorado who just lost her son about 18 mos. ago from cancer. He was only 4. Sometimes I feel like I will be one of the cancer team members in my family, but I hope that won't be the case. It scares me to think about it, so I won't, haha.