Friday, April 6, 2012

OBs and Birth Plans

So, I need to vent.  And when I'm done.. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had a similar experience with an OB, or other professional that helps with pre-natal care and birth.

 I'm just over 32 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and saw the OB yesterday. As he was leaving, I asked him at what appointment I should discuss a birth plan with him (or his 2 other collegues in the practice, since I can't choose who I see...).  He asked if I had one now, and I said not yet (as I wanted to build my birth plan with the drs and be able to ask them questions about their standard practice procedures).  And this was his response, "Birth plans are things that first-time moms do who don't know what they are doing, and they print a birth plan off the internet, and they never happen the way they said.  We get some women who want soft music and pink lights, some want to birth on their hands and knees.  Some don't want any pain medication even though they are screaming at us in pain, but those are usually the ones wearing hemp skirts and have hair down to their butts.  Just let us know of any requests when you get to labor and delivery and we'll try to make it happen."

I was so taken-aback at this unprofessional and condescending opinion from my doctor that I'm seriously considering switching doctors... if I even could at this point.   I mean, those comments seriously turned me off from wanting to ever see him again, didn't answer my question (when would be a good time to discuss this with you?) and did the exact opposite of inviting me to discuss my concerns and wishes with him at any time in the future.  (I think the comment about the "hemp skirt wearing, hair-down-to-their-butts" women is what really pushed me over the edge...)This is the ONLY OB/GYN office in town, the next closest is 20 minutes away, or 35 minutes away, but I ruled those out before because I preferred the hospital here in town.  I'm just really not liking this OB...  (ok, so this is more a personal rant--earlier, I had mentioned to him that I used to be a social studies teacher, and he casually said, "I hated history in high school.  But now I read history books all the time and I realized that high school history teachers only teach the "fake history." They don't tell you all the real stuff that happened." -- seriously?! Don't you think about what you say or who you are saying it to before it comes out of your mouth???) 
Now, I realize there are 3 doctors in this practice.  I met one of them once, who was nice, but English isn't his first language and he's got a heavy accent and not that I have a problem with that, but I'd rather have a doctor that I can communicate with without a language barrier in case there are complications during delivery that need quick attention and I can't ask him to repeat what he said (is that aweful?).  And the 3rd doctor I met is actually really awesome-- I've met him 3 times and he's always listened to me, asked questions, and  has been sure to include Brad in the discussion and was friendly to munchkin.

I just want to know that my OB(s) and I are on the same page and that they can respect my wishes.  And I don't think the time to get on the same page is when I'm having contractions and getting admitted to labor and delivery.  I'm an educated woman that tries to be in-tune with her body and knows it better than a doctor that has only seen me once or twice to look at my chart and tell me how far along I am.   I know that the best plan is to practice and prepare for giving birth before the time comes, and the dr should be a part of that process.

So what would you do?  Find a new dr in a further away town?  Suck it up because i'm being too sensitive about petty things? ask the nurses what day dr#3 is on call and try to go into labor that day, or schedule an induction on that day (even though I don't want to be induced)?  Any other creative ideas?

And further... do I report this dr for his unprofessional comments? Was it unprofessional enough to warrant that kind of action? Or am I over-reacting?

1 comment:

merrilykaroly said...

I would absolutely change doctors. He sounds unprofessional, insensitive, and rude, and from the way you are talking about him, it seems like it might be hard for you to relax and do your best knowing that he is gong to deliver you (if he ends up being the one who does). I actually changed from a doctor to midwives on January 5th, and my baby was born just two months later, on March 4th. The only problem is it sounds like you might not have a lot of options! Do you know of anyone who could recommend someone better for you?? Of course midwives that deliver in a hospital are the absolute best, but finding midwives or another doctor who is more sensitive to your needs would be my top priority. I don't think it's too late for you to change because like you said, your doctor didn't even really know you that well.

If it turns out that you can't switch, I'd say make sure you bring a birth plan to your next appointment and demand to go over it with the doctor. It is YOUR body and the choices are YOURS. Also, I'd make sure that Brad is very aware of your preferences in case you are a little out of it and the doctor wants to start taking matters into his own hands without your consent. I'm so sorry you have to deal with such a jerk!! Good luck!!