I got a huge metaphorical pat on the back this morning for the efforts I've been putting into trying to be healthier. Back in March, I started going to this place on BYU's campus called Y-Be-Fit. They measured tons of stuff-- cholesterol, body composition, weight, bmi, strength (upper body, lower body, and core), and VO2max. In July, I will get to repeat all of the tests to see my improvement in each of those areas.
But today, I participated in a research study, and one part of it measured my body composition using a BodPod. It's accurate at measuring body fat %age within 1-2%; they even use it on The Biggest Loser to measure contestants' body fat %age (even thought that's not the measure used in competition). I pulled out my results from March's BodPod test, and compared. My body fat %age dropped 7%age points!!! And, even better-- my "fat free mass" (which is basically everything except fat) increased!
*(I should also recognize that I was breastfeeding Naomi when I took the first BodPod test, and now she is fully weened. The test administrator said that breastfeeding can inflate the body fat %age by up to 2%. Even if that's true, I still went down 5%, and that's still awesome!)
Score! It's a HUGE deal for me. It proves that I'm doing this the healthy way; I'm doing it right. I'm losing fat weight and gaining lean body mass. I'm getting healthier everyday and I feel amazing. I'm so grateful to Heavenly Father for answering my prayers to guide me to make healthy decisions, learn more about how to be healthy, and have the strength to make the right choices. Also, my wonderful husband has been very supportive of my efforts and choices; he even tries the new foods I buy. And thanks for all the support from friends and family-- there have been lots of times when I've hit a rough patch and feel like I'm struggling when one of you will notice and comment on how much I've improved and it really gives me the boost I need to keep going strong.
1 comment:
What new foods have you been trying? I always like a little variety. I've wondered if I could check what you're eating on MFP.
Post a Comment